[Rhodes22-list] The Chili Race

Julie Thorndycraft julie at circle7.net
Sun Oct 5 19:57:26 EDT 2003

Just got back from a beautiful afternoon sailing and participating in the last race (The Chili Run) of the season at the yacht club where we have our boat. It was also are first race of the season for us - the incentive being the chili cookoff that was held at the end of the race. Up to this point we've been content to cruise in our normal 'don't spill my wine' fashion and not too concerned about how fast we were going or how well our sails were trimmed.

But the Chili Race caught our attention and my husband was determined to win the Chili contest with his Skunk Creek Red Chili Recipe so we put in our entry fee and off we went. The winds were light (6knots) and we sailed on a beam reach for most of the race which was a simple down and back. As usual with lake sailing the winds tend to shift and there were times that we seemed dog-piled in one area - I'm used to keeping about 100' between our boat and another so when we are within chatting distance with another boat (5'), I get a little nervous.

Our race results were less than impressive but we had a great time and the wind/weather was fabulous for this time of the year in Minnesota. Since we are the only Rhodes 22 at the club, they used some book they had for guidelines for the PHRF rating - they used a 260 which was the average for a Rhodes 22 Continental plus they added an additional 17 for 'miscellaneous'. I noticed in some earlier messages that other Rhodes have been rated at 295 - if we race next season is there a different PHRF rating that we should lobby for?

On the Chili front, Dan tied for first with his entry and this was far more important than where we placed in the race - serious competition starts when there's cooking underway. His prize - a cheap bottle of sparkling wine!

Can't stand to see the season end,
Julie Thorndycraft
S/V Blue Loon