[Rhodes22-list] Polyester casting resin over Epoxy

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Oct 6 23:06:33 EDT 2003

Juan,

You heard correctly, polyester casting resins do NOT adhere well to epoxy
resins.  Therefore, I would recommend not using polyester casting resin for
filling the void spaces between the lead shot inside the  keel cavity.
Instead, I would recommend using WEST system 105 epoxy resin with 209 extra
slow hardener.  Be sure to wipe the amine blush off the repaired epoxy
surfaces & scuff sand the cured epoxy with #100 sandpaper to provide a good
"tooth" before you start backfilling with lead shot ballast & epoxy.  Use
acetone & clean cotton rags to wipe the amine blush off the surfaces.  I
would pour in about a 1" thick layer of lead shot, pour epoxy over the layer
& spread it around with a paint scraper to get good coverage.  Add another
1" thick layer of lead shot, more epoxy, & spread it as before.  Continue
this procedure until the keel cavity is full.  By the way, you will get more
lead into the cavity if you use a mixture of large & small diameter shot.  A
mixture of 75%wt 1/2" OD lead shot with 25%wt 1/8" OD lead shot is about
ideal.  The little balls fill in the void spaces between the larger balls.
Use the WEST 209 extra slow hardener so that you will not have any problems
with heat build-up in the keel cavity during the curing process & so that
you will have plenty of time to complete the job.

Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium