[Rhodes22-list] adding keel weight

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sat Oct 18 19:58:32 EDT 2003

Roger,

Thanks for your response.  Without being condescending or dismissive, you
always just try to help and answer the question -- I like that about you!

About 10 days ago, I returned to Chapel Hill from Naples, FL with a 1984 R22
that weighs 3,360 pounds.  Since all the reading I've done about R22s from
that era suggests the boat should weigh about 2,800, and since I removed the
floor and have a good view of the keel area from the inside, and since there
is concrete (as you described) filled around the keel well, I thought
perhaps someone other than GBI modified this particular hull by adding
ADDITIONAL concrete and lead.  Is this how a standard, unmodified '84 should
look?

My other keel/CB boat, a Jim Taylor designed Starwind 19, built by
Wellcraft,  has an open 10" deep keel well, but 395 pounds of lead shot
fiberglassed into the bottom base of keel by the builder - way down low.
The Starwind 19 keel/CB is 10 feet long and has lots of space on either side
of the CB well where some Starwind owners like to add yet more ballast.
Since I'd never seen an uncovered R22 keel/CB well before, I though perhaps
the extra 560 pounds on the R22 came from a similar owner's modification.
However, I don't think it's a good idea to add more "heavier than water"
ballast to any boat designed to float when swamped, like the R22.

If all R22s have their keel/CB wells filled to the top with concrete and
lead, what could account for my boat being 560 pounds heavier?  20% seems
like a huge variance.

There is a small amount of bilge water in my R22 resulting from rain getting
in through the portlights, I think.  Since winter is coming, I am concerned
about getting all the water out.  I don't want concrete spalling or FG
blistering.  Are these caused by the expansion of water ice?  Is it
important to dry out the bilge before a hard freeze?

Thanks again, Roger, for your thoughts on this.

PT