[Rhodes22-list] Jim Harrison's Cover

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Oct 22 00:21:40 EDT 2003

Jim,

I just took a look at the 6 pictures of your boat cover.  Looks like a nice
piece of work.  I've been thinking about building a piece of boat canvas
along those lines for some time now.  It was nice to have photos of a real
cover to look at & think about.  Thank you for publishing them.

I have a Nicro Fico solar powered vent on top of the cabin roof just forward
& a little to starboard of the mast.  I'd like to have good cabin
ventillation when the cover is in in place.  So, I don't think I'd run my
cover as far forward as you did.

One of the reasons for the cover on my boat would be to minimize UV exposure
on my varnished teak plywood companionway hatch cover.  My boat slip faces
east/west, so the hatch cover gets direct sun exposure up until about 1:00
PM.  For this reason, I think I would run the cover straight down the sides
of the hatch cover all the way to the bridgedeck & secure it with snaps vs.
the grommets & parachute cord on your cover.  In addition, with my railings,
the parachute cord as you have it would be a tripping hazard right across
the gates in the railing on both sides of the cockpit.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium