[Rhodes22-list] Post Season Questions

Robert Dobson dobson777 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 26 21:07:02 EST 2003

How about that , the Bears win again!
I have been on this list too long to address you as Gentle-men ,so I will
say experienced captains [ that includes the ladies] I am looking for your
expert advice. My Rhodes22 has been @ a buoy in Lake Geneva Wi. for about
1/2 to 3/4 of the season up here. I did not get to sail near as much as I
had hoped to,so some of my questions are due to inexperience. I appreciate
your patience and understanding.
                Now that "Kel-Lee" is out and bedded down for the winter, I
need to ask several questions. But before I do I must give "kudos'' to Stan.
He sold me on the mast raising system. I have the IMF and Stan suggested it
. Elton brought it with him when he delivered my boat. He did not have the
time to show me how to use it. I raised and lowered it this season without
ever seeing or being assisted or having it explained to me. I just went by
the instruction book and a couple of e-mails to Stan." a piece of cake" All
my helpers just stood around in amazement. All was done in 1/2 hour and I
had never done it before. Everything is now labeled on masking tape so in
the spring I will not be looking around for my short term memory before I
can get started again.

Question #1. Is tension of the shrouds suppose to be equal? I understand 250
lbs. is about right.Is this to be the same for the back stays as well? Is
there a way of checking this w/o buying a $50 apparatus to confirm?

Question #2. In mid and heavier wind I keep hearing about dropping the
traveler. Please explain. All the pictures of the Rhodes22 on the list, the
travelers are neatly tided up. I understand adjusting it on a new tack, but
that is all I have done. This boat must be different than others I have
sailed in the uses of the traveler. What I have read on the list is that it
is the most used part of controlling  the heel of the boat and in constant
use.
.

Question # 3. When I bought the boat, before I launched I had the marina put
bottom paint on . The lower hull shows minor spots that I believe I can just
touch up.  Is there prep necessary or just spot touch up?
  The upper hull has a beautiful forest green high shine gel coat. After
being in the water for the season, from the bow to just past mid-ship a 6-10
inch film seems to have eliminated all the shine completely.I used a marine
polish and buffer to see if I could remove it but with no impact. Before the
boat launched I used a marine polish and wax. Please let me know if any one
has experienced this and what procedure used to bring the gel coat back to
original shine. I am sure this shows up to a greater degree on deeper color
hulls

Question #4 . later

Thank you for your expertise!

Bob Dobson