[Rhodes22-list] Holocaust - first they came for the .....

Kroposki kroposki at innova.net
Wed Sep 3 23:38:20 EDT 2003

Michael stated a post with "first they came for the ..."
So everyone knows the whole verse, here is the rest of the story:

In Germany they first came for the Communists
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
 Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists
     and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics
     and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
 Then they came for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up.

 --The Reverend Martin Niemöller, a pastor in the German Confessing
Church
who spent seven years in a concentration camp.