[Rhodes22-list] Labor Day trip

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 17 23:46:18 EDT 2003

Todd, since you asked-

Very nice, relaxing and uneventful -- just the way Tana likes to sail.  We
met Mary Lou and Fred at Hartges Marina on Saturday, ate dinner in the rain
under Fretless's bimini quite nicely and shared sailing stories.  They were
headed into the Choptank with an armada of bigger boats from their club
based north of the big bridge.

Sunday am we headed for the Miles River during what appeared to be a Shields
race in the mouth of the West River.  Stayed two nights in Leeds Creek
opposite St. Michaels among the 35 footers and billionaire estates.  Two
Georgian mansions, about a thousand feet apart, must have been 20,000 sq ft
each.  We toured the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum on Labor Day, when a few
warned us it would be slammed.  But it was empty - too many believed the
warnings.  I'm sure the locals must think it's all for tourists, but what a
great museum!

We crossed the Miles River from St Michaels at night under cloud cover (I
mean dark dark) using GPS and went right up Leeds Creek.  The cruising
guides warn of shoals, but who really cares with a keel/cb boat -- we had no
problems.   Second night a storm blew late, as it always seems to on our
trips.

We liked Caso Rio quite a bit, including a boat named "Auntie M" up near the
shed.  It's probably from the thirties.  Nancy at the office called it an
"AR33".  Beautiful Alden-looking boat -- but quite a project.  See the
photo.

Can't wait to get back there.  Todd, do you know how lucky you are to live
close to all that?

PT