[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes bridge deck traveler

Christine Allison sailnut at asan.com
Tue Sep 23 10:20:41 EDT 2003

I received an E-mail request to describe the bridge deck traveler fitted to my boat....

The track its self is constructed from a length of 1.25 diam stainless tubing equal in length to the width of the bridge deck.

This track is mounted on plastic risers about 2 inches high.  The risers are through bolted to the bridge deck.

The car is most likely a GBI special design.  Bent out of stainless sheet steel and riding on the track via plastic wheels.  The main sheet block shackles to the top of the car.  The 1/8 control lines also are routed through turning sheaves built into the car.  This gives a 2:1 purchase which is sufficient.

Jam cleats are mounted on top of and at each end of the track.  They are oriented beam wise and the control  lines which adjust the traveler feed through them.  It's awkward to adjust these lines in a blow but it can be done.  For ordinary pleasure sailing it works fine.

Because the track is mounted so far forward and because the lower rear stay restricts the outward swing of the boom there is always enough down pull by the mainsheet assembly on the boom to avoid it's riding up and  thereby taking tension off the leech of the main.  I doubt if a purpose installed vang would work any better.

Richard Smith