[Rhodes22-list] Small problem when coming about.

LafingBear at aol.com LafingBear at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 23:54:06 EDT 2003

Hi Folks!  I don't know if you folks have ever had this problem but with the
brains on this list someone may have a simple solution. I usually sail alone
and when it's really windy and I have to come about fast I just let the line on
the one winch loose push the tiller over all the way and start pulling in on
the other side as fast as I can. On several occassions, usually while trying
to beat  other sailboats across the lake, the line from the genny has gotton
hung up on the forward deck cleat as the genny comes across. This means I have
to leave the tiller, grab the pole, sprawl across the hatchway and flip the
line free of the cleat. This only happens when I have the genny all the way out,
it's very windy and I'm in a big hurry. Is there something I can put over the
cleat, or on the cleat, to prevent the line from snagging? Yeah, I know I
don't know all the correct terms for everything, but you guys know what I mean.
Any and all serious suggestions would be gratefully received.
I'll be at the NJ show on Thur. and I hope to run into some of you folks.
Jim Gifford