[Rhodes22-list] Small problem when coming about.

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 25 07:48:38 EDT 2003

Jim,

tack slower -- it's faster.

verify a closehauled course before even thinking about tacking.

mover tiller a little at first, then more rapidly, then back about the same,
then slowly adjust to centerline on the new tack -- if you're moving (and
you should be moving in heavy air) about 30 degrees off centerline is all
you need.  Any more and your "rudder brake" just slows you excessively.

before the tack, face forward and sit on leeward side to induce heel --
heeling helps any boat round up and puts you closer to the jib cleat (if
you're singlehanded)

Set up your mainsail to self-tack (most do this anyway, but the traveller
may need adjustment).  Trim the main before the tack.  Don't touch the
mainsheet when tacking, and notice the instant the main fills so you know to
stop turning the boat.  You will settle on the new closehauled course better
this way.

Do you think perhaps you are falling off too much after the tack?  That
would carry the genoa clew forward in relation to the bow and bring the
sheets near the bow cleat horns.

Keep your "lazy sheet" pulled in, without too much slack, before the tack.

don't release the genoa sheet until you first see the bow head up across the
horizon in front of the boat.  Then, watch for the genoa to flap and hit the
mast.  The instant the genoa touches the mast, sheet in like mad and don't
stop until the jib is in.

Trim the genoa sheet with a fully stretched and extended arm, pulling all
the way in to your center with each pull. It will take fewer, but bigger,
pulls to haul the sheet in this way.

tacking slower gives you more time to pull new sheet in faster

I hope these suggestions work for you.

PT