[Rhodes22-list] IMF PHRF and Portsmouth Ratings

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 5 21:27:50 EDT 2004

Wally and Mark,

The best way to get a nice (high) Portsmouth number for the Rhodes 22,
either IMF or standard, would be to race a lot and finish very poorly.  So
Wally, you'll just have to slow down, or you're going to mess it up for the
rest of us!  :)

US Sailing takes actual racing results and computes Portsmouth numbers by
comparing the finish times of boats with little data to other boats with
more data - if that makes any sense.  The Thistle is the benchmark boat, so
it's number is always 80.0.  Every other boat is subject to change by
comparing racing results to boats with larger data bases.  The Portsmouth
Yardstick system assumes all boats are sailed by good sailors - in reality
not always the case.

A few years ago in our club that sails on the NC/VA border at Kerr Lake,
some Lightning sailors didn't like the fact that our smaller and slower
Tanzer 16s consistently beat them in light air.  Our boats were lighter, so
in the puffs we could out accelerate them and get inside at the marks.  So,
they sent data to US Sailing and the Tanzer 16 D-PN was actually lowered
from 100.0 to 97.5!  The fact that our Tanzer 16 fleet was very competitive
(including 3 past National Champions) and the Lightnings weren't even top
rated in their district was not considered by US Sailing.  The Portsmouth
Yardstick isn't perfect, is just all we've got.

My old friend and USSA Regional Race Officer Herb Bodman says it quite
succinctly, "Handicap racing, compared to one-design, is like kissing your
sister".

Fair winds,

-PT