[Rhodes22-list] Checklist

David Keyes dkeyes at houston.rr.com
Fri Apr 16 11:28:12 EDT 2004

Bill and Slim,

I will put together my checklist in several days when I get back from a
trip.  It is a composite of Stan's booklet of instructions for the
mast-hoist system that lowers the mast towards the stern, plus some
additional email instructions and recommendations from Stan, plus a few
things from my experience lowering and raising the mast twice on Wednesday.
The first time, I carefully followed all instructions, and everything worked
fine--although there were a few things I would like to improve on next time.
The second time I did things from memory, when, as Bill suggested, most of
the procedures are done when tired or rushed, and there was minor damage as
I described last night from a few forgotten details.

I like Bill and Slim's recommendation that everyone have a list of details,
sequence and safety items.  I proceeded the first time from Stan's booklet
and several emails, photos, and prior list postings, most of which I had on
board and consulted on my first time.  A laminated checklist succinctly
written but catching all the necessary details would be even better.  The
second time was in my head and mostly okay, but not a grade of A.

One of my future projects is to figure out how to take down the 175 genoa on
the CDI furler and maybe do that, depending on the effort as compared to
leaving it up while lowering the mast, to reduce bulk when I am not going to
put the boat on a trailor, but just want to lower the mast to do some
repairs in place. I did find that keeping the genoa reasonably free of sharp
bends and stresses and corded or strapped to the mast at the worst spots
while keeping the furling mechanism from scratching the deck or windows was
somewhat of a nuisance, although definitely manageable.

David