[Rhodes22-list] New IMF vertically battened mainsail

David Keyes dkeyes at houston.rr.com
Mon Apr 19 00:34:05 EDT 2004

Jerry, I will let you know in a week or two how the battened IMF is doing.
Since I spent all day Wednesday fixing and replacing things, and learning
for the first time how to do some things, there was no time to go sailing at
the end of the day--well, there was time, but I wanted to keep a happy wife
who had been waiting for me all day at home and was now waiting for me to go
out to dinner with her.  The next morning, we left town, and I won't get
back to the boat before next weekend.  As far as the sail furling
mechanically, I had no problem furling the sail all the way out and all the
way back into the mast, just as with the old IMF sail.  However, Stan has
since told me not to retract the new, battened IMF mainsail into the mast
beyond the self-cover (on most of our boats, the color-trimmed part).  That
is where some large, vertical battens are located.  This will leave more
sail area extended out from the mast when the IMF main is retracted, and I
am wondering whether or not I will notice any extra wear on the sail from
sitting around at the dock on windy days--probably not, but I will watch for
this.

David
S/V Arrowhead (or I could pick any other name, since I've never painted a
name on the boat yet--well, I've only owned it three years)