[Rhodes22-list] Mark's political instigation aggravated

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 23 11:45:47 EDT 2004

Bill,

Obviously, there are many opinions on the subject of Iraq and WMD. I can
only speak for myself. My feeling on the WMD issue is that all of the
hub-bub from the Dems that bush was lying about WMDs is just a way to
discredit him before the next election. This should be pretty obvious by
now. Note especially, Senator Kerry's quotes in that list and compare that
to what you hear from him now. I don't believe you can trust this man any
further than you could throw a bull by the tail!! Whether anyone was lying
or not, it seems that either everyone was, Dems included, OR they weren't.
This list (it seems it would be a long one) of liars/non-liars would have
to include President Bush. How convenient is it now for the Dems to all
decide that now it was only President Bush who was lying?

I would have been in favor of "dethroning" Saddam Hussein whether he had
WMD or not. He has proven himself to be an active supporter of terrorists
and has been practically daring us, for years, to put our money where our
mouth is. He was torturing and killing his citizens by the thousands and
those he wasn't were starving to death due to our sanctions and embargos
while Saddam sat, fat and happy, in his 56 palaces. Most of our actions up
to the point of the start of the war were hurting the wrong people and
doing no good at all. My only regret on this issue is that it wasn't taken
care of in 1991, when it should have been finished in the first place. I
cannot imagine the amount of human suffering this would have saved.

I keep hearing about the UN this or that. JEEZ, has anybody looked at just
who is running the UN these days??? Talk about the fox running the henhouse!!

On the Afghanistan thing; Yes, we weren't able to catch Bin Laden. I have
to admit, he is a pretty clever guy who seems to have a lot of friends
willing to help him. Does this mean we shouldn't have tried??? The man has
as much as admitted killing several thousand of our citizens and has as
much as promised to kill more when he gets another chance. At least if we
haven't been able to catch him, we have certainly made it more difficult
for him to operate. I have no doubt that we will catch him eventually. Do
the Dems have some magic plan for getting this done??? If so, I'd love to
hear it. My guess is they want to return to the policies of the Clinton
era, where he told those nasty guys how bad they were and lobbed a missile
over there once in a while. Again, it should be pretty obvious by now,
where those policies got us.

Talk is nice, when it works, and Lord knows, I would rather talk than
fight. Trouble is, if people don't believe that you will back up your words
with your big stick, sometimes they have a tendency to not take you very
seriously. This has been the case in the middle east for quite some time
now. At least 10 years for sure for Saddam Hussein. I think we have made
some believers over there now. Even Muammar Qaddafi (sp) seems to have had
an "epiphany".

I will not even attempt to debate anyone on the finer points of diplomacy
and foreign policy. All I know is what I can see. Diplomacy wasn't working
and more talk wasn't going to make the situation any better.

Rik