storm jib Re: [Rhodes22-list] Hello from a New Boat Owner

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Fri Apr 23 15:36:35 EDT 2004

The GPS is really good if there is no current.
One of the interesting facts I found was when I was pinching too high, my tract would be say 190 degs and my magnetic heading would be 180

If I bear off a little my tract would be 195 with a heading of 190 and my speed would pick up.

make sure your GPS is set to show magnetic not true.

On a run or broad reach the compass and the gps are dead on.

Bob
S/V Knot Necessary

>>> JSusanj at aol.com 04/23/04 02:20PM >>>
I've got one of those little handheld GPS units so when I can get on the water I want to check how close I can sail to the wind first thing.  If no one else answers, I'll let you know what I find out.

Jeff S.