[Rhodes22-list] Boom Room

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 28 11:27:44 EDT 2004

Sheldon.  Short of buying the boom room from GB enclosing the entire cockpit
from something as small as a mosquito is quite a task.  I think Roger
fabricated his own boom room.  If you do it yourself other people's
measurements are not going to be precise enough to where each snap is snug
w/o being too short.  You would have to have a canvas person measuring and
cutting right at the boat for it too look right.  I plan on covering the
cockpit from rain and dirt with a boom tent.  I will have a canvas person
measure it.  The unique feature of this will be two  pockets sewn in
horizontally (port to starboard) which I will be able to slide in tent
poles.  These poles hold the tent up horizontal  (parrallel to the water)
providing a covered cockpit with headroom.  I will have a few straps right
at the snap holes which will provide a little down pressure in the tent
poles and keep it from blowing away.  I have even thought about wall to this
design but I might just have a zipper sewn into the edge and expand into
that if I find a great need.  The poptop enclosure was a good purchase.  I
have waited out several rainy days inside it and it has kept the bugs at
bay.  One of the worst nights aboard I was too lazy to put up the poptop and
rationalized not putting it up inorder to catch more breeze.  It was 95
degreese and wanted all the breeze I could get.  That night the dog and I
were burtalized by mosquitos.  Sleeping was impossible.  They didn't once
bite my pregnant wife ( "Cutters" should take note )  I dripped the last
drop of cutters on me and took refuge with the dog in a sleeping bag.  95
degreese and we wrapped ourselves as tightly as possible in the bag.
Occasionally a hand would fall out of the bag and be ravaged by bites to the
point where it woke me.  Sorry about the tangent - I had almost blocked that
night out of my mind.  Bob Weber