[Rhodes22-list] Mosquito Netting Bimini Room?

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Apr 29 06:20:33 EDT 2004

Hi Sheldon,

Dynamic Equilibrium is the 1976 Rhodes 22 that has the custom made "bimini
room."  The boat also has custom stainless steel railings and the bimini
room is designed to work with the railings.  The below enclosed links will
take you to pictures of my system; but, unless you want to reproduce all my
custom work, the drawings won't do you any good.

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/bimini_room_1.jpg
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/bimini_room_2.jpg
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Family_On_Boat.jpg

These enclosed links will take you to FAQ's on the subject of biminis & boom
rooms.

http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/bimini.html
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/fu_bim.html
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/boomrm.html

With the pop top enclosure & boom room erected, there are still a couple of
openings where mosquitoes can get in.  We simply roll up a towel or T-shirt
to block the openings.

Building a boom room is the most complicated bit of canvas work I ever
attempted.  Unless you are VERY skilled at sewing & have a HD sewing
machine, this is not a project I would recommend.  If you have the necessary
skills & equipment; then, you don't need anything more than the above photos
to give you some idea of what the bimini/boom room is supposed to look like
when completed.  Measurements will not help you.  Everything must be custom
fitted to your boat.  If you don't possess the skills and have the necessary
equipment; then, buy the OEM boom room from GBI.  But, please note; that,
even the GBI boom room will come with a bag of male snaps.  These snaps will
have to custom installed on your boat to work with the particular boom room
canvas.  Installing these snaps such that the boom room hangs properly
requires a certain amount of skill.  If you've never done this before, a
boom room is not a very good beginner project & my advice is to find a
professional.

Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

> On 4/27/04 8:38 PM, "Sheldon Green" <sheldongreen at comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > Hello Rhodes22 Board!
> >
> > We are the soon to be (4//30/04) proud owners of a Rhodes22!  We have a
> > question for the board.  At one point there was a discussion regarding
> > mosquito netting and the use of the Bimini for a Mosquito/Bimini
Room(?).