[Rhodes22-list] tuning and such

Andy Lessard lessard at fabulousfloors.com
Thu Apr 29 09:05:44 EDT 2004

Help!     We got our butts kicked last night.

We are the proud, new owners of a refurbished Rhodes22.  We enjoy cruising,
but trading from a J22, we still appreciate performance and a little
competition in sailing with the cruising fleet at Riverton Yacht Club on the
Deleware.

Elton did an excellent job getting the boat set up and on the go.  But we do
not have any information about tuning.  We have new Doyle sails.

We would also appreciate any help in how to best trim the sails to point
better to the wind.  With the rigging set up the way we were given the boat,
the best we could manage was 60 degrees to the wind.  With the current we
have on the river, that is not high enough to even make the weather mark.
What we have done is keep the boom in the lower position, moved the car as
far back as it will go on the jib sheet and trimmed the jib sheet back
almost to the car.  Last night we tried moving the traveller on the main to
windward and that seemed to help.  What helped the most was cranking down on
the rear stay.  To windward, we kept the centerboard all the way down.  With
all these efforts, the best we could point was about 45 degrees.  Still not
enough.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  We do understand we are not sailing a
J22, but we also know that every sailboat has its optimum tuning and
trimming.
Thank You,

Andy Lessard