[Rhodes22-list] tuning and such

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 13:18:45 EDT 2004

Andy,

I race my R22 and I have IMF. I do just fine on the upwind legs. Make sure
main outhaul is tight. As you found out moving traveler to windward helps
especialy in light air. I would also suggest moving jib car far forward
rather than back. Do you have jib telltales, they should help out. You can
also try sheeting jib inside the outer shrouds. If you have a 170 sheeting
inside the shrouds is not a good idea. You will need to furl so much sail
shape will suffer. If you have a 135 or less this works great, 150 it works
ok. Also I would check the tension on all shrouds. If they are too loose
your upwind performance will suffer. I can't tell you exact tension I just
go by feel and sound. :-)

Also make sure your lazerette is not loaded down with a bunch of heavy gear.
The R22's transom drags a little and this can hurt performance upwind as
well as off the wind. My laz has life jackets and not much else. I also sit
as far forward as I can. A tiller extender is a must. I have also lengthened
my traveler line (I use a single line) so i can make travelers adjustments
while sitting forward. The R22 performs very well in light air. In heavy
winds you need to keep the boat flat or you will lose a bunch of speed.

Are you racing PHRF or Portsmouth? My club has me at 270 PHRF and 98
Portsmouth. I am hanging on to second place with our season half over.

Good luck and welcome to the list!

Wally
Watts Bar TN