[Rhodes22-list] New Rhodes Boat Owner

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Aug 2 11:02:14 EDT 2004

Ed,

The discussion was whether it made sense to sell your perfectly good 2-stroke which you used maybe 10 hours a year and run out to buy a new $2500 4-stroke that weighed twice as much.

I said "no" then, I say "no" now.

I am seriously considering buying the new Tohatsu 4-stroke if I change the way I use my boat.  It costs far less than $2500, it only weighs 1/3 more than my 2-stroke, and it is both more reliable, and much quieter than the first generation 4-strokes we were discussing.

The motor manufacturers are behind much of this foolishness.  They want everyone to buy a new motor.  If I were buying a new Rhodes today I would not get a new 4-stroke motor for it if my budget were limited.  It's a sail boat, and most of us use the sail most of the time.  I would spend my money on some uniquely Rhodes-22 features--IMF; Mast Hoist; Captain's Chairs; Motor Lift; Cushions; etc.

Used 2-strokes are now very cheap.

Bill Effros