[Rhodes22-list] Roger, I need your input...

Eaton, Gil GEaton at IKON.com
Wed Aug 4 12:36:55 EDT 2004

	Hi Carol,
	I'm not Roger, just a guess.  I'm thinking that the forward stays
are not grounded to the mast somehow (I remember a plastic spacer on each
side of the mast), perhaps grounding the stay to the mast or temporarily to
the tabernacle might show a need to ground it at the spreader bolt.
	gil

Gil Eaton
S/V Dream Catcher
Spring Cove Marina
Rock Hall, MD

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org]On Behalf Of CarolN8 at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 11:12 AM
To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Roger, I need your input...

Roger,

I sent this to the list last week but I think you were gone, and I'd like to

know if you have any ideas on this. Thanks!
Carol

OK, since I've come out of lurker mode I might as well ask a question. The
last two times I've been out when there are storm clouds in the area, I have

had
a problem with static electricity building up in the boat. Both times, I
have

received pretty bad shocks. The first time was when I tried to start the
motor (with an electric start). I thought I must have a short somewhere, so

unhooked both batteries but still got shocked every time I touched the
motor.
was docked at the time, so I just went home. When I came back, it was sunny
out
and I had no problems.

The next time it happened, there was a storm nearby (this happens frequently

in Colorado) and I was out sailing. All of a sudden I started hearing a
clicking sound coming off the forward stays. It was a steady and strong
click. I
immediately unhooked both batteries again, but it kept clicking. So I
carefully
hand-started the motor without touching the metal guard on the back (which
was
no easy feat) and went back to the docks.
I've had this boat at the same marina for four years and this has never
happened before. Anybody have any ideas on what I can do? It's pretty
nerveracking!

Carol
s/v Painkiller