[Rhodes22-list] newbie request for advice!

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Wed Aug 4 11:28:46 EDT 2004

Lou,
        I bought an '84 in Baltimore that had been out of the water for a
couple of years.  I knew there would be water in it.  I was wrong, it was
18" of Ice, being January.  Look for the inevitable High-water mark inside
the cabin.  If you find that there is water damage, some bulkheads may be
salvageable but the galley and cabin sole will not be.  Count on about $1000
for materials if you do the work yourself to rebuild the inside to an OK
level.   If you are in a cold area prone to freezing check the fiberglass
over the ballast.  Check all wiring.  If possible get a ultrasound moisture
meter to check all cored deck and cabin areas. (or have a surveyor do it)
Unfurl the sails (drop the mast if necessary) and physically examine all the
sails.  No doubt all the running rigging will need replacing.  If there is
an engine have a mechanic look at it.  I made an initial counter to the
asking price of $5700 for an '84 with IMF (a retro fit), and a new Yamaha
electric start 6hp motor (less than 5 hrs on it) subject to the Surveyor's
report and my personal inspection.  In the end I purchased the boat for
$2500.  I would urge you to use a surveyor it isn't that expensive and you
will know what you are getting.

Chris G.
S/V Passion