[Rhodes22-list] Roger, I need your input...

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Aug 6 10:19:10 EDT 2004

Carol,

Some of the others on the list with more experience re lightening & static
are suggesting you are getting shocked when you touched the outboard motor
on your boat because your body had accumulated a charge which flowed to
ground thru the outboard motor.  I admit I'm a little skeptical about that
hypothesis...OK, a lot skeptical!  But, I'm willing to keep an open mind &
explore it further.  When the outboard motor shocked you, was the lower unit
in the water or was it raised up?  What was the nature of the shock?  I.E.,
was the shock the sort of 1-time pulse you experience in the wintertime when
you shuffle across a carpet & then touch a doorknob, thus producing a static
spark from your finger tip to the doorknob?  Or, was the shock a continuous,
longer lasting pain that comes from touching a source of electricity such as
a live 120 VAC electrical outlet?  Hypothetically, when you were all
"charged up" prior to experiencing the shock, did you experience any other
phenomena?  For example, was your hair standing on end, did you feel any
"tingling", or that sort of thing?

If the outboard's lower unit was not touching the water at the time you were
shocked; then, I'd say this hypothesis is busted.  If the lower unit was in
the water; then, I suppose it's still possible.  I've been sailing nearly
all my adult life including numerous thunderstorms at sea & never
experienced this phenomenon & here it has apparently happened to you twice
within a short period of time.  If these atmospheric conditions ever happen
to you again, an interesting experiment might be to lean over the side of
the boat & touch the water.  If you get shocked; then, you were definitely
charged up!  If this hypothesis is true, since it is you accumulating the
charge & not your boat, the only way to prevent charge accumulation would be
to ground your self.  If you wish to try the experiment; then, Radio Shack
sells conductive wrist bands which electronics technicians use to ground
themselves when servicing static sensitive electronics.  That doesn't seem
like a real smart thing to do in a thunderstorm!  Grounding the mast &/or
standing rigging would simply provide other metal objects around the boat on
which to give yourself an unexpected shock; but, you may feel the need for a
little more excitement in your life.  If this hypothesis is true; then, you
may be a "human capacitor" & your best course of action will be to get off
the water & into a grounded Faraday cage whenever lightening is nearby!  For
some reason, all that dissolved salt in your body tissues & blood stream
doesn't seem to conduct electricity like it does in every other human.  You
should immediately apply for a job in the nearest carnival sideshow, because
you are apparently a wonder of nature.

I still tend to think the symptoms you descibe have something to do with the
mast lowering mishap & exposing some wires inside the mast, although I don't
have all the answers yet.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium