[Rhodes22-list] Roger, I need your input...

CarolN8 at aol.com CarolN8 at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 18:01:12 EDT 2004

Roger,

Thanks for explaining the static theory everyone else is mentioning...I was
getting confused (which is easy to do for me). I find it interesting that Alex
 had this problem in CO. Thanks for letting me know that Rummy (and welcome
back!) I've had this Rhodes out here since 1999 (when I bought it), and this
is  the first season I've ever had the shocking problem. That is why I'm also
somewhat suspicious of something in the mast. It was last fall that I broke
the  connections.

When the outboard shocked me, it was in the water. If static had built up  in
me, once I the shock happened, it would be over, right? I don't think I would
 continually build up a charge again. It would shock me every time I touched
the  stern rail with my hand, and I wasn't moving around. It felt like a live
shock  (like touching an electric fence). I had no other symptoms like
tingling or hair  standing up.

The second time, there were five of us on the boat, and there was some
static in the air and some hair was standing up which was why I was trying to  get
to shore as quickly as possible. That's when the stays started clicking, and
that's the most nervous I've felt being exposed on the water.

I think a storm in the nearby area is feeding the problem but I'd be  awfully
surprised to think it was causing it because this is the only season  it's
happened. We have storms here all the time in the summer afternoons.

For those who suggest I avoid these storms, that is a great idea in theory,
but in CO, there is almost always a storm in the area in the afternoons and
you  just have to keep an eye on how close they are to you, and what direction
they  are going. You can be in a downpour and lightning storm one minute, and
drive  ten minutes north and be in sunny blue skies.

I'm hoping to go out tomorrow but may not be able to sail again until  Sunday.

Carol