[Rhodes22-list] Congratulations Lou!

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Tue Aug 10 13:38:27 EDT 2004

Reprieve

Nice

Bob DIlk

>>> "Peter Thorn" <pthorn at nc.rr.com> 08/10/04 10:40AM >>>
        Congratulations Lou, on the purchase of your first boat.  As you have chosen wisely, perhaps you will be lucky enough for it to be your last as well.  Take heart that you are not the only "project boat owner" on this list.  Certainly Todd, Bob Dilk, myself and many others can relate.

       This article came to me in a newsletter from our cruising club Commodore and was originally from "Good Old Boat Magazine". The author is an anonymous Texan. It hit a soft spot with me and maybe it will with some of you.

Reprieve

    I've been sailing almost my entire life. From day one, the family and I had fun. Not everyone was always able to come along, but we all had a great time: sunny days, sunsets, and laughter. As the years passed and members of the family grew up and went their separate ways, sailing became less and less frequent. Eventually, I was left to remember the good old days on the water by myself.

     Then, as fate would have it, circumstances brought me together with a different group of sailors. Suddenly we were back on the water, happily sailing every weekend. New sails, new upholstery, a tune up on the motor, life was good once more. But again, as the years drifted past, interest was lost, and I was left alone to ponder the past once more.

      This time, however, no one new came along to enjoy the water and go sailing with me. Several more years passed, and things got a little shaky. My physical condition deteriorated, and I eventually became unable to sail. Surely with some assistance, I could get back on the water and again enjoy sailing like I did so many years ago.

       Alas, no one seemed willing to put forth the effort. This was beginning to look like the end of my sailing career.

       Finally, a kindly looking man in shorts and a worn out shirt noticed me sitting there in the corner of the storage yard and came over to see how I was. I must have been a sad sight: dirty all over, scruffy looking, obviously neglected, and in need of a little TLC. Nothing fatal, but I wondered whether he could see through all the neglect into the heart of a truly worthy sailor. Was he to be my salvation? Would he see that I was truly still a "good old boat"?

Make an old boat happy, take it sailing!