[Rhodes22-list] Sailing With The Boom In The Lower Position

David Walker david.walker5 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 11 11:39:40 EDT 2004

Roger,

I have fit a vang on my IMF boom.  It has to be removable at the mast  in
order to use the poptop.  I have a web strap around the mast at the foot
that catches under a conveniently mounted cleat, and a lenght of 3/16
stayset tied in a rolling hitch around the boom at about the location of the
jam cleat for the furling line.  The vang attaches by a shackle to the boom
loop and by a snap shackle to the loop at the mast.

Your analysis of the reefing with the IMF is right on.  When roller reefing
the 175 it is important to get the sheet blocks adjusted correctly.  At 175
they should be just forward of the winch so the clew two-blocks with it when
sheeted tight.  At 130, the blocks are at the forward end of my track , just
at the water drain channel.  Less than that requires sheeting inside the
shrouds.

Dave Walker