[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22

albert caiola albert_caiola at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 08:49:31 EDT 2004

Bob,
Thank you for the feedback and your honesty, it was quite helpful and definitely reinforces my decision to get a Rhodes 22.
Thanks again,
Al

Bob Weber <ruba1811 at hotmail.com> wrote:
Al, Here is my most honest answers. We get these inquiries all the time and
I havent responded to one in a while.

1. Is this the right boat for the type of sailing I would like to do and the
for
the area in which I plan to sail in?
The Rhodes is a great shallow water boat. I sail on Carlyle in IL. and it
is shallow. I know where the shoals are but always seem to cut it too
close. Oh well, I just bump along - The advantage of a unweighted
centerboard. We have 30 - 35 foot boats on that little mud pond and I am
always amazed when I sail with them that most of their energy is spent
wondering about the shoals and how to avoid them the best. Now I do get
envious when I have more than just my wife spend the night. Boy to have a
bearth with a door & AC. But I never envy them when they are spending time
working and not sailing. Not to mention the cost increase - it becomes
expontial for each extra foot.

2. Can the cabin accommodate 4 adults and a child or two comfortably for a
weekend or does it get claustrophobic?
In my mind the answer is NO. I have tried it 3 times now with family (you
will never have friends that are that close) and although I slept great and
did not feel too cramped not one of them will accept another invite. The
other 2 choices are better in that respect but trust me the extra 2 feet
won't make that much differnce. To really make it possible, we are back to
the 30 footers again. I would have no problem with mom, dad, and a couple
kids. I have slept 6 on board before and thought it was confortable but the
other 5 may disagree.

3. Is the boat easy to set-up, launch, sail and remove single handed?
Yes, YES, Definately Yes. Single handing is most of my sailing (see above)
and it is not only easy but I race single handed with very little penatly.
I bring rail meat when the wind is up but still do most of the work myself.

Hope it helps.

Bob Weber
S/V Ruba
Odyssey Sailing School