[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22

albert caiola albert_caiola at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 09:29:28 EDT 2004

Saroj,
Thank you.  All of the Rhodie's that have responded have been honest and helpful, and I appreciate that.
As far as my choice is concerned, my mind is made up, the Rhodes 22 is the boat I want.  Now the process of either getting a new one or locating a good refurbished one begins and I look forward to it.
Thanks again,
Al

Saroj <saroj at pathfind.net> wrote:
Al, I'll pitch in too for what it's worth. As far as the type of sailing
you do, the Rhodes was designed for rough waters - LI Sound. She is very
hardy and unsinkable and can tolerate running aground as someone else
mentioned. I have to concur that 4 adults and a child would be pretty
impossible within the cabin itself; however with adequate bug repellant and
a large tarp to keep the dew off, it is delightful to sleep out on the
cockpit bunks. In the desert where I sailed Pathfinder for two years, no
need for the tarp. I am a 62-yr woman of moderate strength and have no
problems launching, retrieving or single-handing my Rhodes. Since I don't
raise and lower the mast very often, it takes me a while longer to be sure
that the shrouds & stays are clearing properly. I use a mast raising system
from a shop out in Arizona that works very well for me. Although she
carries a standard main, I have a CDI furler that has to go up with the mast
so there is some considerable weight and uneven forces.

Good luck.

Saroj