[Rhodes22-list] Lou's new yacht

Lou Rosenberg steadilsr at verizon.net
Wed Aug 11 20:37:06 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, August 10, 2004, at 04:26 PM, ed kroposki wrote:

> Lou,
>
>      You have not told us about the motor.  Does the motor work?  How
> about
> the battery?  Does it have a VHF (radio)?  Cockpit cushions?  Pop top
> cover?
> Since you have a couple of days before you move, fill in the details.
>

>      Does the tiller need refinishing?  How about the bright work?
>

> Ed K
> ***********
Ed K and all Rhodes owners out there,
  thanks for all the support !
  Had to give in to the boat yard that has possession of my R22 until
next wk, as they "demanded" that i use their shop and services to
obtain new rims and tires for my Triad circa 1980 trailer.   I balked-
and ran out to my local tire shop but found out I would need the actual
rim to match up for the correct fit.  the trailer is 62 miles away in
Pt Jeff!!  I could have saved $150. but that $ was the $ I was warned
by the (R22 ) former owner to expect to pay to get my boat out of his
yard.
  Boat Yards ! blasphemy! ( expletive deleted!)

  The deal included a Mercury 7.5 hp with an electric start and a tank.
An extra dolphin plug? for the tank to motor.
   I prefer to have a Johnson or Honda or Yamaha 9.9 and will try to
parlay my current Merc into one of those models before I launch in
April.

  the rigging is a mess . WOrn out in some places and the traveler was
not even set correctly to do anything but the entire rig was just set
up in the spring for show purposes anyway.
  I definitely want IMF and will save my bottle tops and stop giving my
recycling to the homeless asian women in the neighborhood.    ( only
kidding)
IF any sailors out there  want to sell an extra mast with IMF I am
interested!!!

  Aside from some rain damage to my cushions due to a leaky portlight,
the inside is fairly in good shape but very old and needs work.
  I  will scan the archives and ask  around later for schematics on the
electric system.  As a pro videographer and steadicam operator we have
to be able to wire 12V systems all the time and i have done a few crazy
things in my life to get out of jams but have never wired a  boat
before.

  Yes the tiller needs refinishing any suggestions?  I would just
replace the wood and go from there..
  The teak inside will eventually get changed too.
  The companionway door was replaced with a nice pc of  tinted lexan
which looks neat!
  No radio , I will invest before doing any cruising or serious sailing.

  Joined BoatUS yesterday and will most likely get there insurance.. any
recommendations??

  I hope to trailer back to Brooklyn where I am already booked for the
winter and beyond at Gateway Marina, Flatbush ave in waters that I have
sailed since childhood.
they say you cannot go home again, but when I get this boat sailing the
way I want to  I plan to arrange a landing at Miramar Yacht Club where
my late father kept his Ensign when he died.
  thanks all for your humor and support
  Lou