[Rhodes22-list] Boom Question

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Thu Aug 12 09:26:18 EDT 2004

Rick,

The boom slider has screws that pass through the slot in the mast and thread
into the two plastic "donuts" that act as furling bearings. Raven's (a 1988)
stripped out and our boom started dropping at random times. In retrospect,
we were yanking the outhaul pretty hard to get our main completely unfurled
(a different problem we've since addressed) and we ended up putting too much
stress on the threads.

At any rate, after I figured out why it was happening, I took the thing
apart, and tapped and threaded new holes into the donuts part way around the
circumference. This worked for a while, but they eventually pulled out
again. We finally bought a newer version of the boom slider assembly from
Stan and our problems went away.

Mark Kaynor