[Rhodes22-list] Vanf and Hatch Lock pics

David Walker david.walker5 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 20:24:47 EDT 2004

There have been a couple of questions about vangs and hatch locks.  Atached
are some photos of my vang and a new lock I installed when the original lock
on the slider bit the dust.  I got a brass hasp from West Marine and
attached it to the under side of the slider and the the catch on the hatch.
It makes a neat installation, but probably no more secure than Stan's
original (only protection from honest thieves).

For the vang, it is removeable from the mast for use of the pop-top and more
importantly it can be used as a preventer when sailing dead down wind.  I
didn't install a bail on the boom, as I don't like the point loading that
machine screws give - Roger might comment on that as I did not do any
calculations.  But I have seen boats with broken booms at the vang
attachment points.  A slide stop in the boom slot keeps the rolling hitch
from sliding forward on the boom when not under load.

Dave Walker