[Rhodes22-list] Is there a Rhodes 22 in northern Ohio that we cansee?

Dan Bodnar dsbodnar at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 14 12:31:50 EDT 2004

Hi Karen,
You've already received several endorsements of the great accommodations; I
thought I'd comment on sailing on Lake Erie with a Rhodes.
I sail on Erie out of a marina near Gibraltar Mi.  The area is in the
shelter of the mouth of the Detroit River, but it is also at the "end" of
the lake so we experience some good swells and sometimes confused seas with
lake water heading west, and river water going south.
Many of my day sail guests comment on how the boat feels much larger (read
safer, drier) than a 22 ft.  A Rhodes is great on Erie. She is only a 22
footer, so your own skill and bravery have to be taken into account when the
weather is chancy. I generally sail with family and I'm not into challenging
the weather gods. Besides, the boat sails better upright. We only "wet the
rails" when it is all guys (adult/near adult)and that isn't often, however
we've had ours out a couple of times in some brisk late September winds,
with waves (rollers) coming from the east, and although it was a wetter than
usual ride, it was also a confident one.

Dan Bodnar
SV QOL,
'92 Rhodes 22