[Rhodes22-list] Urgent Change needed for XP Machines: Turn off AutoUpdate Temporarily

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Aug 17 13:26:27 EDT 2004

Computer People:

What do you think about the warning below?

Bill Effros

At this time, PCCC strongly recommends AGAINST installing Service Pack 2 for
the XP Operating System for Corporate Users.  This Service Pack is very
large and is more akin to a new version of the operating system.  Due to the
size and complexity of this patch along with numerous new security features,
it brings with it a lot of incompatibilities at the moment.

Microsoft is planning to put this patch into the WindowsUpdate system
tomorrow, the 18th.  Therefore, if you are using XP and have Automatic
updates enabled, you should temporarily turn them off.  To do so, go to your
Control Panel (Click on Start->Settings->Control Panel).  Click on Classic
View.  Double Click on System.  Go to the Automatic Updates tab and uncheck
the box marked "Keep my computer up-to-date".

Of core issue with this update for most of our customers is that Virus
Definitions for SAV 9.0 will not be pushed out to the clients.  There are
also some minor issues with the FTP feature of AutoCAD as well but most
importantly, Unreal Tournament multi-player won't work ;-)  A complete list
of software is at this link: