[Rhodes22-list] Urgent Change needed for XP Machines: Turn offAutoUpdate Temporarily

Ben Schultz BenS at ApproSystems.com
Tue Aug 17 15:57:19 EDT 2004

Bill,

We're not applying this service pack at my company (software company) until
it has been thoroughly tested by a few lucky individuals.  Our guys are
taking that approach seriously, and said the same thing that this message
does.  If you want, I'll let you know when we get the okay over here.

Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Bill Effros
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 11:26 AM
To: R-22
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Urgent Change needed for XP Machines: Turn
offAutoUpdate Temporarily

Computer People:

What do you think about the warning below?

Bill Effros

At this time, PCCC strongly recommends AGAINST installing Service Pack 2 for
the XP Operating System for Corporate Users.  This Service Pack is very
large and is more akin to a new version of the operating system.  Due to the
size and complexity of this patch along with numerous new security features,
it brings with it a lot of incompatibilities at the moment.

Microsoft is planning to put this patch into the WindowsUpdate system
tomorrow, the 18th.  Therefore, if you are using XP and have Automatic
updates enabled, you should temporarily turn them off.  To do so, go to your
Control Panel (Click on Start->Settings->Control Panel).  Click on Classic
View.  Double Click on System.  Go to the Automatic Updates tab and uncheck
the box marked "Keep my computer up-to-date".

Of core issue with this update for most of our customers is that Virus
Definitions for SAV 9.0 will not be pushed out to the clients.  There are
also some minor issues with the FTP feature of AutoCAD as well but most
importantly, Unreal Tournament multi-player won't work ;-)  A complete list
of software is at this link:

The information transmitted may contain confidential material and is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any
action by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the information from
your system and contact the sender.