[Rhodes22-list] Olympics

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 21:47:43 EDT 2004

>From today's USSA Olympic newlsetter:

Looking best for the U.S. team is the 470 men's team of Paul Foerster (Dallas, Texas) and Kevin Burnham (Miami, Fla.), who maintained a second position overall today with race finishes of 3-7. The duo's lag behind the leaders from Great Britain, who finished 2-3 today, stretched a bit over yesterday but still is only by 6 points. With 27 teams in the fleet and three races left in an 11-race series, the mathematical chances of leapfrogging the leaders is excellent.

"Our starts weren't the best today, but amazingly, we were able to come back and have good finishes," said Foerster. "We were just being cautious. Our speed's good, we just need to work on starts a little bit." On losing points on Great Britain, Foerster added: "They just sailed a great day. Hats off to them!"

The way the Brits are sailing, Foerster and Burham will be challenged to make up 6 points in 3 races.  If anyone can do it, they can!

Go team USA!

PT