[Rhodes22-list] cockpit bench seat reinforcement

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Tue Aug 24 13:54:38 EDT 2004

Wearing my gofer hat and have to run but can't resist answering this one:

The Rhodes people have gone to great expense to bring you a separate cockpit
liner so the seats are open underneath unlike all competitive boats that
make their decks in one piece providing a continuous hard seat.  The Rhodes
seats have a natural built in spring and will not break unless you have one
built by an early contractor in which case I do not know what they did.

The creaky noise you hear is built in to give you the feel of an authentic
old wooden boat.  If you do not buy that explanation the creaky noise is
akin to crickets rubbing their legs.  The cut outs in the ends of the
cockpit liner may be making contact with the seat as it extends past this
vertical glass member and when you step on the seat, its flexibility is
making it rub the vertical ends of the cockpit liner creating a non
invasive, scary to some sound.  You can eliminate this by increasing the
spacing between the seat stiffeners and the vertical end walls of the
cockpit liner so when the seats flex for your comfort they still do not make
contact with the cockpit liner glass walls.

stan/gbi