[Rhodes22-list] Why is the R22 Not Reviewed?

Ben Schultz BenS at ApproSystems.com
Wed Aug 25 09:28:25 EDT 2004

Gary,
Forget the magazine reviews.  With what other boat builder can you send the
owner of the company a message like we saw yesterday:

"Dear Stan,
Can't you get some 3rd world children to make some more?"

You've probably seen them, but there are owners' reviews on
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/reviews.html.  But on top of being a
great boat (and it really is), you won't find a better company than General
Boats to work with.

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Mary Lou Troy
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 7:49 AM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Why is the R22 Not Reviewed?

Gary,
I think Steve mostly got it right but there is another reason you don't see
the Rhodes 22 mentioned in major boating publications. It has to do with
the nature of the General Boats marketing department. Marketing for this
boat is mostly word of mouth. General Boats relies on boat shows, the
Internet and a bunch of happy owners to sell boats. More than the others
you mention it's a niche boat that seems suited for a group of owners with
distinct preferences in a trailerable sailboat. If a Potter, Precision or a
Hunter will do, a Rhodes 22 is probably not for you. If you buy from
General Boats (new or recycled) you'll get a semi-custom boat. Unlike all
the other boats you mention, there are no "production runs" of Rhodes 22s,
there are no dealers.

That being said the Rhodes 22 is featured in a new book "Sailing Small"
edited by Stan Grayson and published by Devereux Books (Stan Spitzer, your
copy is in the mail). I was going to make a more formal announcement to the
list (I wrote Ch. 5) but this seems like as good a place as any to mention
it.

Mary Lou

At 08:27 AM 8/25/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>While I am intrigued by the Rhodes 22, I am confused that in the three
>small-cruising-sailing books and many magazines that I have read (including
>the August 2004 issue of Sail that specially featured trailersailers), why
>the Rhodes 22 is not included when other trailerable sailboats such as the
>Precision 21, MacGregor 26, Hunter 260, Potter 19, Catalina 250, and others
>are reviewed.  Can anyone explain this?
>
>I am aware that Practical Sailor reviewed the R22 by itself from the
General
>Boats website.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Regards,
>Gary Lynn
>A prospective trailer-sailboat owner

The information transmitted may contain confidential material and is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any
action by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the information from
your system and contact the sender.