[Rhodes22-list] Rogue waves

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Aug 26 21:53:15 EDT 2004

Lou,

All of the wave theories I am familier with attempt to predict the median
size wave or give some description of the probability distribution of wave
heights as a function of such parameters as wind speed, fetch distance,
water depth, storm duration, etc.  Wind & storms always generate a
probability distribution of wave heights.  By definition, a rogue wave is a
low probability event and all of the wave prediction theories tend to be at
their absolute worst accuracy in predicting out on the tails of the
probability distribution.  One of my favorite books on the subject is:

Paul D. Komar, "Beach Processes and Sedimentation", Prentice-Hall, Inc.,
Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1976

The reason I like this book is because the author mostly concentrates on
wave behavior in relatively shallow water near shore, which tends to be
where we sail our Rhodes 22's.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium