[Rhodes22-list] MJM Trailer Brakes

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Mon Aug 30 09:42:23 EDT 2004

Ed,

Not necessarily. If you back a trailer w/ surge brakes up hill, the load can
compress the actuator on the tongue and cause the brakes to engage. If you
back it down hill, the likelihood of the actuator activating is considerably
less - although if your trailer comes up against an obstruction like a log
or a rock, the brakes can still come on. Mine has a switch on the actuator
assembly that allows me to disable the brakes - then I just need to remember
to re-enable them before towing forward.

Mark Kaynor