[Rhodes22-list] Re: CB trunk, bottom paint

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 1 15:11:11 EST 2004

< The high CuO
> >content should keep the fouling at bay for years inside a centerboard
trunk.>

I don't think this will work in salt water!  Once exposed to the air these
seasonal coatings lose much or all of their antifouling properties.  It's
possible to revive them (slightly) by sanding.  Difficult to sand the
interior of the trunk though.

The issue of centerboard trunk fouling (in boats always in the water) has
never been successfully addressed.  I think the best approach is to paint
the board itself with a quality antifouling compound and lower and raise it
a couple of times every week.  This will go along ways towards eliminating
marine fouling in the trunk.  By following this schedule my boat had always
had very little hard growth  in this area.

Richard Smith