[Rhodes22-list] The Great Trailer Debate

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Dec 1 15:32:29 EST 2004

Don,
First, as I mentioned, my original axel was about six inches forward of
what seems right according to the measurements I got from Todd:

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200407/26/
trailersketch2.jpg

I left the axel where it was and added the second behind it but as
close to the first as possible.  I don't know the specs off hand and
the boat's out in storage now.  But here's a pic before I painted the
new fenders.

Slim

On 12/1/04 3:15 PM, "Clarke, Donald R (Don), NEO" <drclarke at att.com>
wrote:

 > Slim,
 >
 > Where in reference to the first axle did you install the second?
 >
 > Don Clarke

Todd, and
 > also in the many discussions here on the list over the last couple
years on
 > this subject, I determined that either my single axel had to be moved
back
 > about six inches or I had to add a second axel to the rear of the
first.  I
 > opted for the latter.
 >
 > Before, with the single axel, I always had a hard time getting the
boat far
 > enough ahead on the trailer when retrieving.  In order to get enough
tongue
 > weight, I had to remove the outboard and lash it on the trailer
tongue,
 > remove the rudder assembly and pack boat gear farther forward.
Without all