[Rhodes22-list] Winter Sailing

Al Miller al.shell at verizon.net
Thu Dec 2 17:36:06 EST 2004

Hi All,
Michelle and I took your advice and dressed for the weather.  Work caught me
before I could leave for the docks on Thanksgiving and so the repairs for
the sail were postponed for a day, but it was all worth it as soon as we hit
the water on Friday pm.  The weather was 75 daytime, down to 50'ish at
night.  We anchored at Anclote Key with a fresh breeze and choppy water. Big
rain storm, too.  The next morning around 10'ish I took Mishka offshore
while Michelle stayed below and read.  Boy, was Mishka happy  (Me Too  :-)
!! All canvas flying.   Plenty of wind, 18 knots steady. Seas at 4-6 feet.
Soon we were about 15 miles off, sailing due west.  I thought that Houston
must be just over the horizon.  On the way back in I broke the rudder.
Michelle thinks that we hit a loggerhead, but I'm not sure.  I'll write
later after careful study of the rudder.  I'll need to know of the fix or
let Stan handle it for us.

Fair Winds,
Al/Michelle
S/V Mishka
ps-How do I get the current owners list?  I hear that we have company in
Bradenton.