[Rhodes22-list] Biological Centerboard Fouling/Jamming - A Serious Issue?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Dec 3 18:56:09 EST 2004

Around here you shouldn't even dream about it.  It varies from location
to location, but if some of these things latch onto your hull you don't
want to know what it takes to get them off.

I had a waxed, no bottom paint hull on a previous boat that I would put
into the salt water for a day.  But that was it.

If my mooring goes into the water a month before I get around to
launching my boat, the mooring line is coated with growth by the time I
pull it out of the water, notwithstanding the fact that the line is
coated with anitfouling paint.  It takes a week of chlorine treatments
to kill it all.  I still get an occasional barnacle, even with my top
rated bottom paint.  I have to grind them off.

Bill Effros