[Rhodes22-list] Biological Centerboard Fouling/Jamming - A SeriousIssue?

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Dec 3 20:39:46 EST 2004

I found that last part interesting. The first time I took my O'Day 25 to
Corpus Christi (from Lake Grapevine, an inland lake in North Texas) I
had a similar experience. The boat was pretty nasty from "pond scum".
Had bottom paint, but still gets some growth, and I don't have it
cleaned. I meant to power wash it, but ran out of time. We put it in the
saltwater at Corpus, and when I pulled it out 4 days later, the pond
scum was mostly gone. Same thing happened a few months later when we
took it down to Port Isabel, and again this year when we took it to
Aransas Pass. I've decided that towing it to the coast may be more
trouble than power washing, but it's a lot more fun.

>>> jdwhite at utpa.edu 12/3/2004 6:44:22 PM >>>
Robert:
Most invertebrate marine organisms can only tolerate rapid, heavy
salinity
changes for short periods. Barnacles, which are actually closely
related to
shrimp and lobsters (they're crustaceans) are one which are pretty
sensitive to these changes.

So sailing up into  fresh water and remaining there for a bit of time
would
kill the organisms on ones hull. The barnacle "shell" is composed of
calcium carbonate, that over time would dissociate in fresh water
(especially fresh water with a slightly acidic pH), but I have doubts
as to
whether they would actually fall off.....probably most of the oldtimers

would scrape along the bottom a bit, dislodging things. Barnacle
attachments, once firm are pretty secure.

I have also heard of this method used down South (I believe in the Rio

Dulce region of Guatemala), where the local fisherman bring their boats
up
the fresh water river during the off season, mooring them there.
Anecdotally, they say that during the off season fresh water growth
begins
to colonize, then when they return to sea, it dies and the process
starts
over. Sounds like a good method of biologic control.
jw
Jim White
Le Menagerie