[Rhodes22-list] Biological Centerboard Fouling/Jamming - A Serious Issue?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Dec 3 22:54:41 EST 2004

Jim,

Practical Sailor has written about it.  Their corporate headquarters are
here in Greenwich, and they tested bottom paint on a raft in one of the
local harbors.  The raft broke loose a few years ago so now they test in
a notorious site in Florida (I think) as well.

Their best advice is that different paints work in different places.
Since they test where I live, I use what they top rate.

I don't know enough about barnacles to tell you what I have, and I don't
find them until the end of the season, so I can't say how long they've
been there.  The centerboard will jam pretty early if I don't use it all
the time.  That is invariably barnacles.  Also they will clog the head
intake--part of the reason I am switching to fresh water flushing.

The barnacles usually attach to spots that don't have paint on them--the
plastic parts, although somehow they sometimes stick right onto the
bottom paint.

That just about exhausts my knowledge on this topic.

Bill Effros