[Rhodes22-list] Biological Centerboard Fouling/Jamming - A Serious Issue?

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat Dec 4 05:36:14 EST 2004

Here in Michigan, the Great Lakes and many of the inland lakes and rivers
have been invaded by Zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha).  We've had them
in Sanford Lake, where I have my home & sail most of the time since 1998.
My dock pilings, seawalls, and rock riprap are completely encrusted with
them.  They can give you a nasty cut if you rub up against one & break open
the shell.  So, we've taken to swimming with water shoes & we're very
careful when swimming around the dock.

I've watched pontoon boats sink a couple of inches lower in the water over
the course of a summer due to Zebra mussel growth.  These vessels were
unprotected in the water all summer and usually only used infrequently by
the owners of vacation cottages.  I would imagine, this sort of encrustation
has a pretty significant effect upon performance & fuel mileage.  If Zebra
mussels got heavily established on the centerboard or up in the well, I
suppose they could jam it.  However, if the centerboard were raised &
lowered occasionally, that would probably knock most Zebra mussels off
before they really got established.

Other than Zebra mussels, the primary fouling issue around here is slime &
algae.  I've used Interlux VC-17M bottom paint for many years.  I have to
apply it every year; but, I like it because it doesn't build up into thick
layers that have to be removed.  The previous owner used some sort of soft
tar-based bottom paint that was 1/10"+ thick in places (really!) and was a
royal PITA to remove back in 1987.  I usually paint the boat on the trailer
annually & only the very bottom of the center board (the leading edge under
sail) & the lips of the centerboard well get an annual recoat.  The
centerboard & well only get painted about every three years in the spring
when I take Dynamic Equilibrium to a paint shop with a lift.  So far, there
has been no Zebra mussel growth up inside the centerboard well or on the
board itself.  I've had to scrape them off the plastic cockpit drain, the
knotlog thru hull, and the depth sounder transducer, none of which are
bottom painted.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium