[Rhodes22-list] Re: HELP!! CB trunk has delaminated!

steadilsr at verizon.net steadilsr at verizon.net
Sun Dec 5 21:11:23 EST 2004

 Roger, Todd , Peter T and all Rhodies:
 Need advice on pics being posted.

 After pulling out the stuck CB last week I decided to use my dremel tool
attached to a flex shaft & 120grit sand minidrum to shave about 1/16 " of the
fibreglass away which is bulging out into the upper trunk.
During the wk I carefully measured the CB thickness using two  straight edges
for references I meas the distance btw the edges along the length of the
board.
 i then cut strips of plywood conforming to those depths as test sticks.  I
used those depth sticks today to measure how much glass i was trimming away
with the dremel.
 Its diff to photograph but my trunk  as it has 2 apparent sections of depth.
The upper trunk where the lip is sealed with the neoprene and the lower
section which opens to the sea.  My lower section is not bulging and there is
plenty of room, but the upper is too tight.
 After sanding the head of the board down I was able to drop the depth stick
in and moved on to the middle of the board.  The section to the rear of my
pivot was tighter and soon I foung my wall had cracked and the glass crumbled
away revealing the dry cement.  I know how to patch the hole with epoxy, but
now I cannot sand the walls with out risking similar problems.
 I am posting my pics for reference and will have more next week.
 Any advice welcomed.

 note: Even if a surveyor had told me not to buy this boat due to a stuck cb,
 i think i would have gone agains his advice due to the condition of the hull
and other parts.  I am still convinced my boat will sail this summer!
Lou