[Rhodes22-list] The great lightning debate.

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Dec 6 16:14:49 EST 2004

I generally agree with Richard Smith about our risk
of electrocution by lightning while on a sailboat.
Compared with rigging and the wiring in a boat, we
are such poor conductor that a strike tends to
ignore us.

But:

*  Spatter from vaporizing wiring can injure.

*  Metal mast + metal compression post + salt
   water just below hull = hole.

*  Electromagnetic pulse (EMP) from a strike
   can fry electronics that are not even
   connected to the boat's wiring.

*  Given the many words written about lightning
   protection systems, there is a real shortage
   of experimental evidence.

*  Some old hands say that having a grounding
   system is an invitation to lightning...

Google "sailboat lightning protection articles"
to see many opinions and some fact

/Bob Skinner