[Rhodes22-list] Biological Centerboard Fouling/Jamming - A Serious Issue?

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Mon Dec 6 18:22:33 EST 2004

Thanks for the sound advice Jim.  I have been told that once you go to
bottom painting, you can never go back.  I would rather wait until I know
that I need it before going through the expense and hassle of bottom
painting my boat.  Then again...I may eat my words after my first trip to
the sea!

Bill W.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           Jim White              |
|         |           <jdwhite at utpa.edu>     |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           rhodes22-list-bounces at r|
|         |           hodes22.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           12/03/2004 06:43 PM    |
|         |           Please respond to The  |
|         |           Rhodes 22 mail list    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  |       To:       The Rhodes 22 mail list <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>                                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Rhodes22-list] Biological Centerboard Fouling/Jamming - A Serious  Issue?                               |

Bill
I guess I can take a shot at this one.

  A week (or two) in most saltwater areas is no big deal, and even here
where the water is pretty warm year round (seldom gets below low 60's). we
routinely leave unpainted skiffs in the water for several weeks or more,
with relatively little growth. Things like barnacles and oyster spat
usually take a while to attach, and even then they are very small, and
easily detached with a light scrubbing, we use a stiff plastic spatula,
then just blast the hull with a power washer. Works real well.

Some of our research here centers on actually catching particular species
of fouling organisms, and of course along with them come other unwanted
ones such as barnacles. I rarely see any barnacle growth inside of 2 weeks,

and most occurs over the course of four or more weeks of constant
immersion, even then it is not significant enough to be a real problem. Of
course this can vary from place to place.

You will probably notice some growth if you leave your boat in salt water
for more than a week without bottom paint, but for the most part it will be

spotty and light, not an all out "hula skirt".There are many species
larval, and subadult both phytoplankton and zooplankton that love to
colonize objects in the water. Marine (and fresh water) life are always
looking for a free ride, and a boat, painted or unpainted is just that.
Bottom paint just slows it down, it does not totally eliminate the
problem.  Most of what you find will be local species of macro-algae and
perhaps some colonial tunicates and bryozoa...all critters easily removed,
and in that time duration probably not a whole lot worse than your "pond
scum". I don't think your centerboard trunk will be affected, and certainly

a good scrub afterward will return things to status quo.

If you don't leave your boat in the water for extended periods, and don't
bottom paint, I certainly wouldn't consider doing that for a short stay in
the briney such as you have described.

jw
Jim White
Le Menagerie

At 05:06 PM 12/3/2004, you wrote:

>What happens if you don't have any bottom paint at all?  My boat is kept
in
>fresh water and does not have any bottom paint.  All that is necessary is
>good pressure washing to clean the "pond scum" and alge from the hull
>whenever the boat is hauled.  It comes off easily as long as you get it
off
>before it dries.  So, while the bottom looks pretty when cleaned (ie.
waxed