[Rhodes22-list] CB trunk Surgery - Roger's Recommended MOC

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Dec 9 15:31:44 EST 2004

Lou,

I would use prefabricated G-10 sheets.  G-10 is a composite material made
from oriented glass fiber & epoxy and it is very stiff.  You will be able to
cut it with a saber saw to an exact fit into whatever size & shape the hole
in your centerboard well ends up being.  You can order G-10 in panels as
small as 12 inch X 12 inch up to as large as 36 inch X 48 inch in any
thickness ranging from 1/32 inch to 2 inch.  Use an unthickened epoxy tie
layer soaked into the cement and also on the cement side of the G-10 patch.
Then, I would use a fiberglass tape laminated with epoxy to bridge the
remaining gap between the G-10 patch and the old centerboard well.  The
centerboard well side of the G-10 patch will still need the final coat of
epoxy loaded up with West 422 Barrier Additive.  G-10 sheets can be ordered
from:

McMaster-Carr Supply Company
473 Ridge Rd.
Dayton, NJ  08810-0317
732-329-3200 (Sales)
www.mcmaster.com

Tell them you want "Grade G-10/FR4 Garolite" in whatever sheet size &
thickness you need.

Note, do not use 3-M 5200 polyurethane caulk to build up the patch as some
others have suggested.  Polyurethane caulk has the wrong MOC properties for
this application.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium